Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Jalapeno Burgers



Even though she lives in Canada, my sister and I talk every day, thanks to Skype. And much of what we talk about is food. Younger though she may be, she never hesitates to give me her take on anything I do, including my cooking. Today, when I mentioned that I made burgers, she promptly exclaimed, "All I want to taste in a burger is the meat!" This is one of the preferences we have in common: our appreciation for the simplicity that is a good burger. I believe that a beef burger should consist of meat and one or two other flavor enhancers (besides salt and pepper of course.) Other flavors should come from the toppings. The following recipe is made with ninety percent lean beef, a couple jalapenos, and finely grated garlic. For the toppings, I recommend cheddar and grilled onions rings. My sister should approve.

Jalapeno Burgers
Makes 8

2 lb lean ground beef
2-3 jalapenos minced
2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
3 garlic cloves, grated
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

1. Combine all of the ingredients thoroughly. Divide the mixture into 8 portions and form into 1 inch thick patties.
2.Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Grill the patties for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until the juices run clear and cooked to desired doneness. Serve on hamburger buns, top with slices of cheddar cheese and grilled onions rings.

2 comments:

Lazaro Cooks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lazaro Cooks said...

I agree that the flavor of the meat should come through. Love the addition of jalapeƱo for some heat. A burger I'd dig for sure.